The Cooking School: Hands-On Classes with Dinner & Wine
- October 30th, 2013
Foods of Mesopotamia with Chef Afreen Wahab
All civilization is said to date back to the river valleys and water supplies of ancient Mesopotamia. Join us on a tasty voyage of discovery, using your imagination and taste buds to time-travel back 4000 years. Close your eyes and imagine lush chartreuse-hued gardens; breathe in and smell the heady scents of saffron, cinnamon, cumin, fennel, and fenugreek being toasted on ancient stovetops. These aromatic, pungent spices with their tantalizing display of colors and warm flavor profiles are the culinary fabric of Mesopotamia. Chef Afreen Wahab hosts this epicurean journey, honoring the traditions, culinary techniques and spice palettes of the Middle East and South Asia.
- Bakri Khooshboo: Grilled lamb with aromatic spices, pistachio, saffron, honey and pomegranate
- Khadoo Gurda: Zucchini marrow with nigella seed, turmeric and fenugreek
- Shouraba Il Addis: Masoor and Mung legume with aromatic herbs, tomato and onion 'tharka'
- Chalo Pilaf: Basmati rice with saffron, bark spices, green cardamom and sultanas
- Raitah: Yogurt with cucumber red mustard and cumin seed with sumac
- Baklava: Layered phyllo pastry with walnuts and cardamom-infused simple syrup
$85 / person